Counter Movement against Trafficking in Persons (cMaTIP)

Tearing through the darkness of TIP

Trafficking in Persons (TIP) is a heinous crime against humanity and an obvious threat to global peace. The victims of this crime in India are adolescent girls, women, men, children, foreign nationals and Indian citizens. Victims have diverse socio-economic backgrounds, varied levels of education and may be documented or undocumented but what is common is their vulnerability. As a major source country, Indian women, children and men are cross-border trafficked for the purposes of commercial/sexual exploitation and forced labour to countries in South Asia, Asia Pacific, the Middle East, Europe, The United States Of America and Africa.

India being the transit country, women, men and children from Bangladesh, Nepal and Pakistan are trafficked through India to the Middle East for commercial sexual exploitation and forced labour. As a receiving country, India is considered the major destination point in South Asia, especially for women and girls from Bangladesh, Nepal who is trafficked for the purposes of commercial sexual exploitation and to a lesser extent, forced labour.

Internal trafficking of women, children and men for commercial sexual exploitation and forced and bonded labour is believed to account for close to 90 percent of all trafficking while cross-border trafficking accounts for the remaining 10 percent.

Over the years of experience and the stories we have heard from the victims, there is no doubt that the situation of Trafficking in Persons in India is much more complex and alarming than is first thought. It needs a multidimensional approach to counter it.

In order to provide holistic and comprehensive response, cMaTIP focus on four “P”s with main intervention of four “R” of anti-trafficking response:-Prevention, Protection, Prosecution and Partnership; RRRR-Rescue, Recovery, Repatriation and Reintegration.

Programme Goal:

Contribute to the protection of all forms of human trafficked victims in Karnataka state; whereby increase numbers of people are safe from threats and survivors supported by appropriate protection & sustainable reintegration services.

Activities